Just because you’re social distancing from the coronavirus doesn’t mean you and your best pals have to drop your movie night. Thanks to a new Google Chrome extension called Netflix Party, groups of friends can get together virtually and watch their favorite Netflix shows and movies on their computers at the same time. The extension also comes with a chat room, so you can share your reactions to the programs as you watch.
In order to participate, all you need is a Google Chrome browser, the extension, and a Netflix subscription. Here’s how it works:
1. Go to netflixparty.com on a Google Chrome browser and click “Get Netflix Party for free!” This will redirect you to Netflix Party’s page on the chrome web store.
2. Click “Add to Chrome” and then click “Add extension” in the pop-up window. Netflix Party will then be added to the top right corner of your Google Chrome browser, next to the address bar. It will have the initials “NP.”
3. Make sure your friends have downloaded “NP” onto their Google Chrome browsers as well.
4. Using your Google Chrome browser, go to Netflix.com, and play the show or movie you all want to watch.
5. Then click the “NP” button on your browser. You’ll also have the option of making yourself the one in charge of pausing, fast-forwarding and rewinding by checking the “Only I have control” box. If you don’t, anybody in your party will be able to use these features.
6. Click “Start the Party” and copy the URL that appears. Send this URL to the people you want to join your party.
7. Once your friends open the link, they should log into Netflix and hit the “NP” button on their Google Chrome browsers.
8. You should now be synced up! Enjoy your program. You can also communicate with each other via a group chat on the right side of the screen. Choose a festive user icon and screen name and share all your binge-watching feels through messages, screenshots, emojis, and GIFs.
Now, go make the most of your coronavirus quarantine!
Read more about this blog here!